Friday, October 03, 2008

Ani-Me!

doodle...

doodle...doodle...

doodle doodle, color color...

Whaddaya think, should I license her?

Actually the funny thing is that "Happy Bonnie" is the product of a couple of really disheartening arguments I've had over the years with people who really like the cheerful, affable, smily person I tend to be when I'm out on a boat, then are shocked to discover that I can also be this total rotten stubborn mule when I get it into my head that something's actually worth fighting for. I really really hate fighting & 97% of my opinions, I don't consider important enough to argue over. When you hit into that 3% though, watch out. Somebody once told me in the midst of one of those 3% conflagrations "We miss Happy Bonnie". Great, I thought. I'm supposed to be a Sanrio character. Thanks ooooodles. There've been a couple of fights with different people, at different times, over different things, that went sort of like that - that's just where the name came from. Actually haven't had one of those fights now for ages (getting out of the Hudson River Park political scene was probably one of the kindest things I've ever done for myself) but this picture of me as cheery manga girl sort of stuck in my head...it wasn't who I am, but, well, for all that, it was sort of amusing to picture.

And then I found a 423 page collection of Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy cartoons in the giveaway bin, and still recovering from this stupid cold, I came home from another long day at work, heated up some soup & proceeded to suck down the entire collection in one night.

Yes, what followed was inevitable. I AstrO-D'd. When I came to, there she was, out of my head & onto paper...Here Comes Happy Bonnie!

OK...there may be a bit of exaggeration in there somewhere. Basically cold = boredom, boredom in a T.V. free zone = reading and doodling. I actually did read the entire Dark Horse Astro Boy volumes one & two collection in one sitting, and the subsequent doodling quite naturally wandered off into anime-land.

Perhaps my next book should have paragraphs instead of panels...

No comments: